Local College & Seminary Libraries
Howard and Edna Hong Kierkegaard Library
St. Olaf College, Northfield
Materials published before 1856
Pre-1856: An important part of the collection is a replication of Kierkegaard’s personal library, based on contemporary records, which consists mainly of Danish and German editions read by Kierkegaard. Titles are also included which Kierkegaard might have seen or owned before his death in 1855 (Pre-1856 indicates this section).
Materials published after 1855
Kierk 1: primary sources in all languages, i.e., Kierkegaard as author
Kierk 2: secondary critical materials with substantial sections about Kierkegaard
Diss: materials by and about related thinkers including contemporaries of Kierkegaard, thinkers who influenced his thought, and later thinkers who were affected by Kierkegaard’s ideas.
Ref: reference materials regarding Kierkegaard studies, language study and translation, philosophy, religion, etc. Danica: works documenting Danish culture, literature, and history.
Article File: includes original and copied articles arranged by author with local title andsubject access for most titles. Includes articles about Kierkegaard and Kierkegaard studies, book reviews, some lectures etc.
Newspaper Article File: includes articles in the popular press about Kierkegaard, reviews of books etc. Currently the file is mainly from Danish newspapers over the past 40 years
Archives: includes documentary materials related to the history of the Library and Kierkegaard studies, as well as biographical materials about Howard and Edna Hong
Other Local Resources
MTLA Minnesota Theological Library Association (title counts are based on 2013 catalog search results)
- Bethel Seminary Lundquist Library - 270 titles
- Luther Seminary (St. Paul) - 680+ titles - Luther SeminaryLibrary owns the earlier and the current collected works, critical editions in Danish, the Hongs’ English translation (Princeton University Press), their edition of his journals and papers, and many single-volume translations. They also have a substantial number of individual monographs about Kierkegaard and his times.
- St. John’s U School of Theology/Alcuin Library - 280+ titles
- St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity Ireland Library 300+
- United Theological Seminary Spencer Library - 48 titles
Cooperating Libraries in Consortium (CLICNET)
- Augsburg College
- Bethel University Library
- Bethel Seminary Library
- Concordia University, St. Paul
- Hamline University
- Northwestern College
- St. Catherine University
- University of St. Thomas
Worldcat - records from academic and public libraries worldwide. Use interlibrary loan for titles not available at your own library.
- CLICNET - http://clicnet.clic.edu/
- Luther Seminary - http:// luthersem.edu
- Worldcat - www.worldcat.org